In February 8, 1911 in the Williamstown Town Report, Article 10 discussed the permanent ownership of the library by the town. The library was voted unanimously to be accepted to the town on March 8, 1911. This made it officially a part of the municipality.
In Town Reports 1903-1919 there is also mention of the library being a part of the town municipality.
The Selectboard Meeting Agenda 11/13/2017 asked for the library budget to be separated from the town. Since the library essentially is owned by the taxpayers, a required vote had to occur at town meeting. The vote did occur and is stated in the 3/5/19 Town Report minutes: 62 YES and 27 NO. The library has remained a part of the municipality since that vote.
Please click below to view the actual documents: